No. 5 Embarkation Depot RAAF

From Our Contribution


Brief History

Six Embarkation Depots, later known as Personnel Depots, were established by the RAAF during World War 2. The principal function of these Depots was to house personnel awaiting embarkation for overseas posts and to ensure that, before departure, they were medically and dentally fit, vaccinated, inoculated and properly equipped. RAF, Royal New Zealand Air Force and Netherlands East Indies Air Force personnel, wives of personnel and Empire Air Training Scheme personnel were also processed through these units.

The No. 5 Embarkation Depot was formed at No. 5 School of Technical Training, Perth, on 10 Apr 1941. The Depot moved to Fremantle Boys' School and Princess May Girls' School in Fremantle on 14 July 1942, followed by a move to Salvado Road, Subiaco, on 2 December. The Depot's name changed in April 1944 to No.5 Personnel Depot.

At the end of September 1946, sections of the Depot were established at Pearce, ANA House and Karrakatta, to carry out discharge and recruiting duties. No. 5 Personnel Depot ceased to function as a unit on 25 September 1946, and was disbanded.

Staff members

Personnel proceeding overseas or being reposted

Personnel for Discharge


See also No. 5 Personnel Depot RAAF

Content comes from Units of the Royal Australian Air Force - A Concise History - Vol 9 Ancillary Units Australian Government Publishing Service, 1995

External Links