Actions

No. 1 Aircraft Depot RAAF

From Our Contribution

1 AD.jpg
Fitters at No. 1 AD assembling a Rolls-Royce Merlin engine after a full overhaul, May 1944 AWM photo 141193


Brief History

No. 1 Aircraft Depot had 1ts offic1al beginning on 21 July 1921, a detachment of the Central Flying School, Point Cook, Victoria had performed the duties of a depot from May 1920. In September 1939 1 Aircraft Depot mobilised following the outbreak of World War 11. Increased aircraft deliveries for the war effort included CAC Wirraway, de Havilland DH.82A Tiger Moth trainers, Lockheed Hudson, Hawker Hurricane and Curtis P-40 Kittyhawk machines. After assembly and test, ferry nights as far afield as Townsville, and Port Moresby were carried out. The Depot also serviced operational aircraft and equipment.

During 1942 the Depot also assisted with servicing and repair of United States Army Air Corps B-17 Flying Fortresses which had sustained battle damage against Japanese forces. Considerable scientific research and aircraft development work was also provided during the War. Modification trials were carried out with Supermarine Spitfire, CAC Boomerang, CAC Wackett and CAC Woomera aircraft, plus comparative trials between Zero, Spitfire, Boomerang. Kittyhawk and Buffalo aircraft. No. 1 Aircraft Depot reached peak strength of 2,339 personnel in January 1945 and demobilised in late 1945.

On 2 Dec 1994 No. 1 Aircraft Depot was disbanded, the longest continuous serving unit of the Royal Australian Air Force, and the longest continuous serving maintenance depot of any air force in the world at that time.

Unit Personnel

Notes


External Links