School of Administration RAAF

From Our Contribution

School of Admin.jpg
Bendigo Military Museum

Brief History

The School of Administration was established at RAAF Base Laverton on 9 Aug1940. The unit trained prospective officers from the RAAF and (later) WAAAFs of the Administrative and Special Duties Branch. The f1rst course (No.6) graduated 47 oHicers on 13 Sep 1940. On 27 Dec 1941 the School moved to Ascot Vale, where it remained until 21 Feb 1942, when its headquarters moved to Trinity College, Melbourne University. Until accommodation was available, the students lodged at Ascot Vale and commuted daily for training at the university.

The training curricula expanded in March 1943, with the addition of officers cyphcr courses. In May, unit commanders courses were offered, and the School also undertook Air Training Corps officers drill refresher courses, administrative officers refresher tralning and high altitude training.

On 12 Nov 1944 an advance party departed for Victor Harbour, South Australia, where the School took over the facilities of No. 4 Initial Training School. The move was completed by 3 Dec 1944 and the School remained at Victor Harbour until September 1945, when it was, supplanted by No. 5 Medical Rehabilitation Unit. On 7 Sep 1945, after graduating 4,781 RAAF and 619 WAAAF officers, the School of Administration ceased to function.

Unit Personnel


Content has come from Units of the Royal Australian Air Force - A Concise History - Volume 8 Training Units - Australian Government Publishing Service - 1995 page 184

External Links