No. 9 Stores Depot RAAF
From Our Contribution
NT Lib photo hdl:10070/35114
No. 9 Stores Depot was formed at Daly Waters in the Northern Territory on 10 Aug 1942 by taking over the stocks and personnel of the North Western Area Stores Pool. On formation, the Depot was to be responsible for supplying 21 individual units (plus eight in the process of formation) throughout the Northern Territory. The planned location of the Depot was changed from Tennant Creek to Birdum, and then in October 1942 to RAAF Corrie.
The RAAF itself built the Depot site. Camp roads were made, refabricated metal framed 'Comet' huts built, a bore sunk to provide water, and a new headquarters building was constructed. A railway siding to serve the Depot was completed on 30 Sep 1943. The Depot area was laid out in a way similar to a forward area operational base, rather than everything being neatly lined up. All roads were curved, and the warehouse buildings were offset. This was in case of an air attack-a straight line bombing or strafing run would only hit one or two buildings. As much of the bush and trees as possible were left standing, which meant that the Depot was Integrated into the bush and therefore camouflaged.
Conditions were harsh at Corrie, and this was not helped by a seven-day working week for everyone. To compensate, every 10 days s1x members were given leave to attend the rest camp at Berry Springs, south of Darwin. Regular swimming trips were also made up to the Roper River at Elsey Station and a rest centre was established there. A beer ration was provided at the rate of one bottle per man per week.
A detachment was later formed in Adela1de to arrange for the procurement and transportation of stock for the Depot, and a forward Detachment 'B' was also formed in Darwin on 24 Aug 1943. In March 1944 28 Air Stores Park was formed at RAAF Corrie, with many of No. 9 Stores Depot's personnel posted to the new unit, and one-third of all stock transferred. By early 1944 the Japanese threat to the north had receded somewhat and it was decided to re-locate 9 Stores Depot to the Darwin suburb of Winnellie. Although situated only about 3 kilometres from RAAF Base Darwin, 9 Stores Depot operated as a separate unit, responsible for its own accommodation, messing and transport. The Depot was reduced to a 'care and maintenance' basis from 14 May 1946. After processing the disposal of all stocks returned from dismantling units in the area and transferring remaining stocks into the igloo hangars on RAAF Base Darwin, 9 Stores Depot was disbanded on 1 Jul 1949.
- Alan Godfrey Barry 22 Dec 1944 - 9 Apr 1946
Content comes from Units of the Royal Australian Air Force - A Concise History - Vol 6 Logistics Units Australian Government Publishing Service, 1995