No. 4 Medical Rehabilitation Unit RAAF

From Our Contribution


Brief History

No. 4 Convalescent Depot was formed on 30 Aug 1943, at the No. 5 Embarkation Depot, Subiaco, Western Australia, with instructions to move to Yanchep at a later dnte, and accommodated at the Yanchep' Inn. The move took two days from 21 Oct 1943, but both the inn and hostel were found to be badly in need of repair. The hostel in particular was in a shocking condition and little or no attention had been paid to the grounds, gardens, lawns or tennis courts for at least 18 months.

Nevertheless the first new patient was received on 25 Oct 1943. On 2 November, the hostel was closed for three days to allow for the fumigation of bed bugs and white ants. Further treatment for bed bugs was carried out later in the month. The daily average number of patients was now 25. The major aim of the Unit was to return cases of operational fatigue and illness to duty as soon as possible and the rehabilitation of unfit personnel into either service or civilian life.

By the end of April 1944, after the arrival of a masseuse, pntients were being accepted for physiotherapy. During May 1944 the occupational therapy section was expanded. In August, the establishment of the Unit was increased from 50 to 75 beds, due to the steady increase in patient numbers. A The lost entry in the Unit History Record was made on 27 January 1946.

Unit Personnel



Content has come from Units of the Royal Australian Air Force - A Concise History - Volume 9 Ancillary Units - Australian Government Publishing Service - 1995 pages 92 & 93

External Links