No. 2 Air Observers School RAAF

From Our Contribution

2 Air Observers School.jpg
Aerial view 1942 courtesy SA Aviation Museum
2 Air Observers School 2.jpg
AWM P08233.004

Brief History

No. 2 Air Observers School was formed at Mount Gambier, South Australia on 6 Feb 1941 and the first of the Anson aircraft with which the School was to be equipped arrived on the 25th. The first course of trainees commenced training on 8 March using the Anson and a DH-84 Dragon. During May, 8 Battle aircraft arrived from Laverton for the units use from Laverton until they moved to Port Pirie on 28 Jun 1941 to establish No. 2 Bombing and Gunnery School.

An attachment of ground staff, 50 trainees and 8 aircraft moved to Nhill to take advantage of the fine weather there compared with that being experienced at Mt Gambier. There were a number of aircraft accidents and deaths of trainees and instructors alike. During November and December 1944 the unit flew bushfire patrols, and the unit was closed in January 1946



Source of information - Units of the Royal Australian Airforce - A Concise History - Vol 8 Training Units - Australian Government Publishing Service - 1995

External Links