HMAS Ping Wo
From Our Contribution
'Ping Wo' translates as "Equitable Harmony". Acquired by the Royal navy in December 1941 as a water carrier. Following the falloff Singapore she sailed for Batavia (Jakarta). She assisted in towing HMAS Vendetta from Tanjung Priok to Fremantle and then on to Albany, heading for Melbourne at an average speed of 3 knots. With the RN now longer requiring her services, she was commissioned into the RAN on 22 May 1942. Used on the east coast as a tender, and later as a stores ship, in 1945 her primary use was as a repair and works depot in New Guinea.
Following the end of hostilities HMAS Ping Wo was returned to her owners in Hong Kong on 24 Jun 1946. Sold in late 1947 to Hoong On Steam Navigation Company she was renamed The On in 1949, shortly before she was taken under control by the Chinese Peoples Republic.
The Ping Wo carried Armament of 1 × 12-pounder gun; 2 × 20 mm cannons; and 2 × .303 calibre Vickers machine guns.
- Arthur Edward Pries 18 Dec 1944 - 24 Jan 1945