41st/2nd Australian Infantry Battalion
From Our Contribution
A Militia unit that was mobilised in December 1941 while in camp at Rutherford, NSW. At that time they were known as 41st Australian Infantry Battalion (Byron Regiment). Following their mobilisation they moved quickly to defensive positions on the coast before moving to Greta in March 1942 to undertake intensive training. In May they moved to Medowie, followed by a return to their previous positions on the coast in June, and then Rutherford in July. In November they moved to Frenchs Forest where they absorbed the 2nd Australian Infantry Battalion to become the 41/2nd Australian Infantry Battalion in December 1943. In March 1944 they moved to Ingleburn, and then the next month to the St Ives Showground, but by this time they were mainly engaged in labouring work. By November 1944 they were the last remaining battalion of the 1st Infantry Brigade Group, serving primarily as a holding unit for underage soldiers awaiting a posting .
Two men from this unit died during ww2, both in Australia.
- Harold George Bell June - 25 Sep 1945