37th Australian Camp Hospital
From Our Contribution
|Name||37th Australian Camp Hospital|
|Where formed||Melville camp, Point Walter, Western Australia|
|Date formed||August 1940|
|Capacity||60 beds reducing to 30 beds in February 1944|
|Locations||Point Walter Reserve|
The Melville Australian Army Camp was initially established in 1939 when the Army leased land from the Fremantle Council. After initial training at Northam, Militia units rotated through Melville Camp as part of the 13th Infantry Brigade Group. Accommodation was initially in tents with only the cookhouses, latrines, mess huts, showers etc in constructed buildings. Barrack huts were erected later amongst the trees which provided good cover.
When the war in the Pacific broke out in December 1941, all the units of the 13th Infantry Brigade Group entered camp at Melville Camp and trained in the surrounding bush areas.
Camp Hospital Melville was raised in August 1940 with 60 beds to service the 13th Infantry Brigade Group units that were starting to train at Melville Camp. They became 37th Australian Camp Hospital in April 1942 and were reduced to 30 beds in February 1944 before being disbanded in October 1944. The 122nd Australian Special Hospital occupied part of the site.
- Winifred Frances Thompson 10 May 1943 - 15 Nov 1944 - detached 10 May 1943 to 118th Australian General Hospital
- Richard Phillipson 26 Jan - 11 Feb 1942
- Arthur John Saw 4 - 18 Feb 1943
- Stanley Upton Hammond 17 - 20 Mar 1943
- John Francis Lean 13 Se - 21 Oct 1942
The above information was taken from ozatwar.com.au/ausarmy/Melville camp.htm accessed 3 Aug 2019.