1st Australian Light Horse Field Ambulance
From Our Contribution
Ambulance Wagons 1st LHFA - April 1915 AWM P11235.003
Formed in New South Wales on 18 August 1914, they departed Sydney aboard HMAT A27 Southern on 23 September 1914 and from Melbourne on 18 October 1914. On arrival in Egypt the Field Ambulance was assigned to Anzac Mounted Division in March 1916.
During the war the unit provided medical support to units in Egypt, Gallipoli (Turkey), Sinai, and Palestine.
At the end of the war the unit's personnel returned to Australia aboard SS Ulimaroa 13 March 1919 and SS Orari 16 May 1919 arriving Fremantle 19 June 1919, Adelaide 26 June 1919, Melbourne 30 June 1919, and finally Sydney on 4 July 1919. Fourteen men died while posted to this unit.
- Sidney Tugby 31 Dec 1915 - 21 Jan 1917
- 1 x Distinguished Service Order
- 2 x Distinguished Conduct Medal
- 4 x Military Medal
- 1 x Meritorious Service Medal for Gallantry
- 3 x mentioned in Despatches
- This was the only voyage for this ship as she had trouble maintaining 10 Knots