112th Australian General Hospital
From Our Contribution
|Name||112th Australian General Hospital|
|Where formed||Kangaroo Point, Brisbane|
|Capacity||1,600 at Greenslopes|
|Locations||Kangaroo Point, and Greenslopes, Brisbane|
The Greenslopes Hospital was built in 1941–42 as Brisbane’s first purpose-built, permanent military hospital. It became the largest World War Two military hospital in Queensland. its initial location was virtually under the Storey Bridge and despite there being large red crosses painted on the roof, it was understood that it would take casualties in the event of an attack on Brisbane. Filled with the 'walking wounded' from North Africa it was only a temporary home until the new hospital at Greenslopes was completed. On 3 Feb 1942 the first patients arrived at Greenslopes.
At war’s end it conducted medical checks for personnel prior to their demobilisation and became a repatriation hospital that catered to the medical needs of Queensland’s returned service personnel until 1995 when it was taken over by Ramsay Health Care.
- Philbert John Charles Morel 28 Jun - 5 Jul 1944
- Thomas Malarkey 20 Feb - 1 Mar 1945
- John Mangan 21 - 29 Aug 1946