USAT Andrew D. White
From Our Contribution
Laid down, 23 November 1942 as SS Andrew D. White a Maritime Commission type (EC2-S-C1) Cargo Ship under Maritime Commission contract (MCE 1232) at Marinship, Sausalito California, and launched on 28 Jan 1943. She was delivered on 27 Feb 1943 to the War Shipping Administration, and allocated to the the War Department the same day. Laid up at Astoria, Oregon on 21 Jan 1947, in the National Defense Reserve Fleet.
Withdrawn from reserve to load Grain - 19 May 1954, to Pope & Talbot, General Agency Agreement. t then returned with a load of grain on 11 June 1954 before going back into reserve. Withdrawn from reserve again to unload grain - 19 April 1957, to Pacific-Atlantic Steamship Co. General Agency Agreement, Returned to reserve on 24 April 1957. She was sold for scrapping, on 6 Feb 1962, to Zidell Explorations, Inc. (Agents for Dulien Steel Products Co.) for $55,678.75 and withdrawn from the reserve for hand over on 1 March 1962
- one single 5"/38 cal dual purpose gun mount
- one single 3"/50 cal dual purpose gun mount
- two single 40mm AA gun mounts
- six single 20mm AA gun mounts
Named for Andrew Dickson White(1832-1918), historian and educator. White was the cofounder and first president of Cornell University, and the founder of the American Historical Society. White served as the U.S. Ambassador to Germany from 1879-1881 and 1897-1902, and the U.S. Ambassador to Russia from 1892-1894.