No. 25 Squadron RAAF
From Our Contribution
Squadron Colour Patch
Fairey Swordfish - Used on anti submarine patrols around Rottnest until 1942
Originally formed as No 23 Squadron at RAAF Base Laverton, but relocated to WA in 1938, and renamed on 1 Jan 1939. With the declaration of war they received their first CAC Wirraways for use in convoy protection and anti-submarine protection. With the Japanese entry into the war they received some Brewster Buffaloes. In august 1943 the Squadron was re-equipped with Vultee Vengeance dive bombers. In addition No 25 Squadron operated at least three Fairey Swordfish Mk1 biplanes on anti-submarine patrols around Rottnest Island and Gage Roads off the Port of Fremantle, including the one on this page (V4689). All squadron pilots converted to the Swordfish. The aircraft were returned to the Royal Navy.
The Squadron's aircraft changed again in January 1945 when they converted to Consolidated B-24 Liberators, as their role changed from the defence of Perth to an offensive one, bombing targets in what is now Indonesia. These sorties required refueling stops at Corunna Downs or Truscott airfields.
In June 1945 the Squadron re-located to Tarakan in order to play a bombing role assisting the landings at Brunei Bay. With the completion of the war, the squadron moved to Cunderdin and was involved with the evacuation of liberated POWs from Borneo and Morotai to Australia before being disbanded in July 1946. Twenty five of its personnel were killed during the war.
It reformed in 1948 as a Citizen Air Force Unit and went through various guises before July 1998 when its permanent personnel separated to form the No. 79 Squadron. Those that remained returned to the role of providing a reserve pool of personnel.
- Eastern Waters 1941-1945
- 1 x Mention in Despatches (MID)