Actions

Difference between revisions of "HMAS Echuca"

From Our Contribution

(Created page with "{{Infobox ship | image = File:HMAS_Echuca.jpg | caption = | image2 = File:HMAS_Echuca_Green.jpg | caption2 = | shipname = HMAS Echuca |...")
 
 
(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{Infobox ship
 
{{Infobox ship
 
| image          = [[File:HMAS_Echuca.jpg]]
 
| image          = [[File:HMAS_Echuca.jpg]]
| caption        =  
+
| caption        = Navy photo
 
| image2        = [[File:HMAS_Echuca_Green.jpg]]
 
| image2        = [[File:HMAS_Echuca_Green.jpg]]
| caption2      =  
+
| caption2      = photo Allan C Green State Library of Victoria
 
| shipname = HMAS Echuca
 
| shipname = HMAS Echuca
| shipowner = Royal  
+
| shipowner = Royal Australian Navy
 
| shipbuilder = Melbourne Harbour Trust, Williamstown
 
| shipbuilder = Melbourne Harbour Trust, Williamstown
 
| shipyardnumber =
 
| shipyardnumber =
Line 17: Line 17:
 
| shipID = J252 / M252
 
| shipID = J252 / M252
 
| shipfate = Transferred to NZ Navy May 1952
 
| shipfate = Transferred to NZ Navy May 1952
| shiptype = AUstralian Bathurst Class Minesweeper
+
| shiptype = Australian Bathurst Class Minesweeper
 
| shiptonnage =  
 
| shiptonnage =  
 
| shiplength = 186 feet (56.69 metres)
 
| shiplength = 186 feet (56.69 metres)
Line 27: Line 27:
 
}}
 
}}
  
 +
==Remarks==
 +
One of 60 Minesweepers (Corvettes) built in Australia during WW2. Her construction began on 22 Feb 1941, with commissioning on 7 Sep 1942. She served as a convoy escort and anti-submarine patrol vessel on the east coast of Australia an around New Guinea until August 1944. In Aug 1944 she was based in Darwin as a member of the American 7th Fleet survey group, and spent the rest of the war surveying northern Australian waters. In Oct 1945 she was sent to Sydney to be converted to minesweeping duties which she then undertook with other elements of the 20th Minesweeping Flotilla. They were used in Australian, New Guinea, New Britain and the Solomon Islands until Aug 1946 when HMAS Echuca was paid off into Reserve.
 +
 +
 +
''Echuca'' was reactivated in Jan 1947 to undertake minesweeping around the Great Barrier Reef until late 1947 when she was then again placed in Reserve, this time in Freemantle before being sold to the New Zealand Navy in 1952. In 1967 they sold her to Pacific Scrap Pty Ltd for scrap.
  
==Remarks==
 
  
 
==Battle Honours==
 
==Battle Honours==
Line 35: Line 39:
  
 
==Crew members==
 
==Crew members==
 
+
*[[Rowland Basil Devereux]] 8 Feb 1946 - Jun 1946
  
  
 
[[Category:Ships]]
 
[[Category:Ships]]

Latest revision as of 14:46, 18 January 2020

HMAS Echuca
HMAS Echuca.jpg
Navy photo
HMAS Echuca Green.jpg
photo Allan C Green State Library of Victoria
History
Name HMAS Echuca
Owner Royal Australian Navy
Builder Melbourne Harbour Trust, Williamstown
Launched 17 Jan 1942
Completed 6 Sep 1942
In service 7 Sep 1943
Out of service 29 Jun 1948
Fate Transferred to NZ Navy May 1952
General characteristics
Type Australian Bathurst Class Minesweeper
Length 186 feet (56.69 metres)
Beam 31 feet (9.45 metres)
Depth 8 feet 6 inches (2.59 metres)
Propulsion 2,000HP twin screw
Speed 15 knots
Capacity 85 crew


Remarks

One of 60 Minesweepers (Corvettes) built in Australia during WW2. Her construction began on 22 Feb 1941, with commissioning on 7 Sep 1942. She served as a convoy escort and anti-submarine patrol vessel on the east coast of Australia an around New Guinea until August 1944. In Aug 1944 she was based in Darwin as a member of the American 7th Fleet survey group, and spent the rest of the war surveying northern Australian waters. In Oct 1945 she was sent to Sydney to be converted to minesweeping duties which she then undertook with other elements of the 20th Minesweeping Flotilla. They were used in Australian, New Guinea, New Britain and the Solomon Islands until Aug 1946 when HMAS Echuca was paid off into Reserve.


Echuca was reactivated in Jan 1947 to undertake minesweeping around the Great Barrier Reef until late 1947 when she was then again placed in Reserve, this time in Freemantle before being sold to the New Zealand Navy in 1952. In 1967 they sold her to Pacific Scrap Pty Ltd for scrap.


Battle Honours

  • Pacific 1941-45
  • New Guinea 1942-44

Crew members