No. 25 (City of Perth) Squadron RAAF
From Our Contribution
No. 25 Squadron badge / colour patch
One of the three Swordfish used on anti-submarine patrols around Rottnest Island until 1942
Originally formed as No. 23 (City of Perth) Squadron in early 1943 at RAAF Base Laverton before being renumbered No.25 and moved to RAAF Base Pearce in January 1939. With the outbreak of war it was allocated some CAC Wirraways to carry out Convoy escort duties and anti-submarine patrols. With Japan's entry into the war the squadron received a small number of Brewster Buffalo aircraft, and in early 1942 three Fairey Battle biplanes. The later were used to conduct patrols around Rottnest Island until late 1942 before they were returned to the Royal Navy.
In Aug 1943 the squadron was re-equipped with Vultee Vengeance dive bombers to defend against a rumored Japanese invasion, and began joint exercises with the Army. With the removal of the threat to Perth, the squadron was again re-equipped, this time with Consolidated B-24 Liberators, and began to carry out bombing raids against Japanese targets in what is now the Indonesian islands. These sorties required refueling stops at Truscott or Corunna Downs airfields. In June 1945 the squadron relocated to Tarakan and provided bomber support to the allied landings at Brunei Bay
With the completion of hostilities the squadron's aircraft were used to ferry liberated POWs home from Borneo and Morotai in the Moluccas Islands before being disbanded in July 1946. Reformed in 1948 it has since then performed a number of roles at RAAF Pearce as part of the RAAF's Combat Reserve Wing.
- Eastern Waters 1942 - 1945
1 x MID