111th Australian Casualty Clearing Station
From Our Contribution
Revision as of 00:15, 20 December 2020 by Linton
No 4 Tent ward at Madang, New Guinea 18 May 1944
South Alexishafen, New Guinea 8 Aug 1944 Admission & Discharge Section
Formed in Camden, New South Wales in March 1942 as the 11th Australian Casualty Clearing Station, they moved to Harlin in Queensland (north east of Brisbane) in June. With the re-organisation of cavalry and armoured units in October 1942 they moved to Gunnedah in New South Wales in November, and back to Kingaroy in Queensland in January and February 1943. In April they were renamed 111th Australian Casualty Clearing Station, and it moved to Port Moresby in June 1943 to relieve the 105th Aust CCS, taking over the CCS facilities at the 17 Mile camp.
Following the capture of Lae, the Light Section moved to Yalu in September, with the rest of the unit following in October, replacing the 2/4th Australian Field Ambulance. In April 1944 the Light Section moved to replace an American unit at Saidor, and shortly after to Madang. The Heavy Section joined them at Madang in May, and he unit continued to service troops in this area until they were relieved in April 1945. In May they returned to Australia and were disbanded at Wallgrove in New South Wales in July 1945.
Yalu New Guinea
- 7 x Mentioned in Despatches